Blissville is the small wedge of Queens positioned between Newtown Creek, Calvary Cemetery and the Queens-Midtown Expressway; it takes its name from Neziah Bliss, inventor, shipbuilder and industrialist, who owned most of the land here in the 1830s and 1840s.Bliss, a protégé of Robert Fulton, was an early steamboat pioneer and owned companies in Philadelphia and Cincinnati.The map is still pretty accurate for the B24, but the 29 don’t come around here no more. did military bands once pass ‘in review’on the way to the cemetery?The B24 is a strange route: beginning in Greenpoint, it runs east to Sunnyside and then loops back on the BQE to Williamsburg A pair of ancient businesses on Bradley. Heavily industrial Review Avenue skirts the edge of Calvary Cemetery and is a busy truck route, since it is the only local route connecting Hunters Point and Maspeth. Was it once possible to ‘review’ sailing vessels in Newtown Creek from here?A careful look in southern Calvary Cemetery (near old Penny Bridge) will reveal the Alsop family burial ground, which was incorporated into Calvary, with stones dating to 1743.The parish purchased land that became “New” Calvary Cemetery just to the northeast from the Burroughs family in 1870.
(1st and 2nd Streets became part of Calvary Cemetery.) The Citigroup building on Jackson Avenue can seen directly down Starr Avenue from 37th.Settling in Manhattan in 1827, his Novelty Iron Works supplied steamboat engines for area vessels.By 1832 he had acquired acreage on both sides of Newtown Creek, in Greenpoint and what would become the southern edge of Long Island City.In 2005, the building was sold and will be renamed.Van Dam Street is a late addition to Blissville; it was cut through sometime in the early 20th Century (not sure when) as an extension south from Sunnyside as a way to facilitate traffic flow to Greenpoint Avenue and Brooklyn.